Trust Busting in Divorce Proceedings - NEW DATE
22 Sep 2020
Location: Grant Thornton, 30 Finsbury Square, EC2A 1AG, London Members: FREE - Book by 18 Sep Non Members: £100+VAT - Book by 18 Sep
Our first community 4Sight event for HNW Divorce is kindly hosted by Grant Thornton. Registration is from 6pm with an informative interactive panel session on Trust Busting from 6.30pm which will be followed by drinks and nibbles. Register now for free as places are limited.
Benefit from 2 distinct sessions on Atttacking a Trust structure
- Technical session - Can you really 'Bust a Trust'
- Case study - Breaking a complex structure
Session: Chair of Evening
Penningtons Manches Cooper
Penningtons Manches Cooper
For over twenty years I have been a forensic accountant expert specialising in investigating large and complex fraud and money laundering cases. I have given evidence in the Royal Court in Jersey on a number of occasions on behalf of the Attorney General of Jersey. I have also acted in Guernsey and the Isle of Man as well as in the UK. I am a recognised expert forensic accountant on the UK National Crime Agency database.
I have acted on a number of high profile sensitive cases involving politically exposed persons, often involving corrupt payments, such as an overseas government minister who held several hundred million dollars in a complex web of trusts and associated companies. I was also the principal prosecution witness in the both the trial and confiscation hearing in Jersey’s most extensive and complicated money laundering prosecution.
Outside of work I am actively involved in the voluntary sectors where I provide both my time and accountancy skills to support the charitable objectives of a number of organisations.
Hannah Davie - Director - Grant Thornton
- Can you really ‘Bust a Trust’?
- Looking behind a Trust or complex ownership structure
- What you can look for in relation to being able to prove a trust is a sham
- How you can fund investigations/trust busting (in UK and offshore) /options available for funding
- Considering different jurisdictions and talking though those that are easier/more difficult and why
- Any tips/advice when dealing with offshore trusts/complex structures
- Real life examples/interesting war stories
David Sowden - Director - Grant Thornton
Lucia Perchard - Director - Highvern
Edward Floyd - Partner - Penningtons Manches Cooper
How to break though a complex structure, including off shore Trusts and shell companies, to recover money and assets for your client in divorce proceedings:
- Investigating the spouses assets, tracing the money, establishing what has happened to the assets and where they have been placed into trust structures/off shore structures
- Challenges these trust structures brought for their client in relation to the recovery of assets
- How this affected the strategy for the divorce, including options around the claims they could look to bring
- What would be needed to prove a sham
- Tracing the funds through the structure
- How in the end they realised the value for their client
Charles Lloyd - Partner - Macfarlanes
Emma Holland - Senior Associate - Stewarts
Partnering on an event or indeed the community as a whole will increase your company’s profile and brand awareness.
We can provide bespoke value adding partnerships. We will work in partnership with you to develop a bespoke marketing solution to meet your objectives across varying events and thought leadership content. We will ensure that you gain value through the right medium, focused on your desired audience, with a true partnership that delivers value to your marketing needs. Want to know more?
Please contact Chris on 0207 101 4151 or email email@example.com